During the restoration works of 1939–1941, in the course of clearing the roof, terracotta tiles and bricks, which adorned the more ancient mausoleum above the grave of Khoja Ahmad Yasawi, were recovered among the debris.
In October 1957, during the restoration of the plinth on the western edge of the northern portal, a wall of the first mausoleum of Khoja Ahmad Yasawi was revealed in the western pylon. A fragment of revetment was found – a simulated facing of paired bricks with an arrangement of vertical "bows" (about 1 sq.m.), in a checkered pattern, inserted between them. The remnants of these constructions – 2–3 m high walls – were revealed in the course of restoration work in 1975 in the area of the ziyarat-khana.